Saturday, July 9, 2016

Day 7: Issue Papers


Submitted by Jen-Li Barry

 

Today each person in our group researched their congressperson to write their own issue paper. Exploring past bills and legislation they supported, we searched for an issue to write about. Creating this issue paper was much more challenging than I had originally expected, because I learned that we each had to pick a topic that our representative would likely support and that we were passionate about.

My representative, Lois Capps is passionate about many issues, including the environment, public health, and education. After reading about her previous accomplishments and occupations, the website ontheissues.org gave me insight into how she had voted on these issues. I was excited to see that I agreed with her on many of the topics, disagreeing with offshore drilling, being pro-choice, and being pro-gun control.
I then turned to some of the environmental problems that affected my community/her district. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the majority of ideas I had were already being implemented in the area, including free mulch deliveries, rain barrel subsidies, and a renovation to make a golf course more water-efficient.



Reflecting on this past week and the different topics I learned about, I remembered a display at the Birch Aquarium. It featured two windows, comparing the amount of heat each type captured, in an effort to conserve energy. I realized I hadn’t seen or heard anything about solar windows, so I decided to investigate further. I found a few different companies that either sold or were in the process of developing solar windows, which would capture the light and generate energy for the building.









Jen Li at the Birch Aquarium

Working on issue papers



After reading what each website had to say, I figured this would be a great topic to introduce at my meeting with Rep. Capps. I am very excited now that I found a topic; however, I am still pretty nervous about presenting this paper. Our group did a mock run through with our first drafts to get an idea of how the meeting would feel. I felt immensely unprepared, I could hardly remember what I was talking about, and eventually I ended up reading off of my paper. I made some notes of specific questions I needed to be prepared to ask, but I realize that I need to be able to think on my feet, as I can never know what may occur during a meeting with a busy congresswoman. I am not very good at conversing with people of status without having everything somewhat planned out in my head, but I simply have to remember to take a breath and just say what seems appropriate to the situation.





Even though this process and the meetings are challenging, I am glad that I get the chance to experience lobbying in DC, since it will only help me learn and grow as a U.S. citizen and a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment