Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Day 2 Freedom of the Seas


Daven Cheu

July 4, 2016

The ocean has been a part of my life and my dreams for a long time. I soared far above its waves and plunged into its emerald waters, felt the fog rolling in from the sea and smelled the salt thrown into the air and the crashing of waves on rocky shores. The sweeping horizon of boundless blue, especially in the special hour when the sun rises and paints the sky with vivid colors reflected on the water, has an alluring majesty, a shear vastness that no desert sunrise can match. Looking out onto that eternity of water takes my breath away.

Aside from the poetic essence, the beach below the Scripps Pier was fairly crowded and was quite appropriately patriotic. The sky was overcast with the sun breaking through every now and then so the weather didn’t get too hot and the water wasn’t too cold. At first, and I thought this was hilarious, no one in our group wanted to go into the water. That changed when Bonnie one of our researchers appeared with surfboards and boogie boards. I had never surfed before but the basics seemed easy to understand: lay on the board, paddle, turn into a wave, paddle again and ride it to shore. I got up to the facing my back to the wave part, but I couldn’t paddle fast enough to be propelled by the wave. The paddling made my arms tire to where I couldn’t move them behind my back. The few moments I was able to catch a wave I didn’t maintain my balance to where I could even kneel. So, in reality it wasn’t as easy as Bonnie or even Caroline made it appear. Maybe with practice, and if I bought a board and moved to the coast, I could become good at surfing and it is indeed interesting to get into, but it’s not realistic for a person who lives in the desert in the middle of the country. At least not for now.

Still, the surfing itself was pretty fun for the limited skillset that I had. On the waves I did catch, the sense of speed gliding across the water was exhilarating. It was close to flight. We had a good time, and I would like to spend more time at the beach but alas, there are other important things for us to do this week so the beach can wait, but not for long if I don’t do anything to help preserve it.

First football then Frisbee throwing.

The girls are debating whether to go in the water or not- until the surf boards and boogie boards arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment